La famille de l'Incarnation

Family of the Incarnation

menu

Home > Fils de Marie Immaculée > Notre histoire > Second Period

Other languages :   es     fr  

Second Period

The Sons of Mary Immaculate in the West Indies

All the versions of this article: [English] [Español] [français]

1872: Dominica

West Indian Village in the past

Fr. Ardois, the then Vicar General, had been a teacher at the Richelieu of Lucon Institute and knew the ‘Fathers of Chavagnes’. He had called Rev. Fr. Remaud, Superior General, to suggest to the FMI’s a missionary area on the island of Dominica. The suggestion was accepted and volunteers were called for. From the number who volunteered, three priests and a brother were chosen. ‘Their departure was preceeded by a ceremony at the little school of Chavagnes and at the tomb of Fr. Baudouin in the presence of the Ursulines of Chavagnes and a great number of the pupils.’




1878: St. Lucia

West Indian Village in the past

Fr. Rautureau, originally from the Vendee was Vicar General of St. Lucia and in charge of the parish of Castries. He was searching for a missionary congregation to serve the parishes of the island, for the stability of priests was a frequent problem. He had asked to have the FMI’swho had a good reputation in the neighbouring diocese of Roseau (in Dominica). The first two FMI’s arrived at St. Lucia on 20th February, 1878 : Fr. Ronard and Fr. Tapon. Three others joined them in 1880. In 1884, Fr. Tapon was named Vicar General of Castries replacing Fr. Rautureau, who was ill.



1997: Trinidad

FMI House, Presbytery and House of Welcome for Students

The theological formation of the young West Indians training for the priesthood took place at the University Seminary of Trinidad. In order to ensure the accompaniment of some young West Indian FMI’s, the General Council asked Mgr. Pantin, Archbishop of Port of Spain, Trinidad, to open a community for pastoral care and who would be able to welcome the young in formation. Mgr. Pantin granted the permission to have FMI’s in the parish of St. John, a little village near to the capital and the University Seminary.