La famille de l'Incarnation

Family of the Incarnation

menu

Home > Fils de Marie Immaculée > Notre histoire > First Period

Other languages :   es     fr  

First Period

The death of Louis Marie Baudouin until the end of the 19th Century

All the versions of this article: [English] [Español] [français]

The Revival of the Congregation

Mgr. Pailloux, bishop of La Rochelle, had suppressed in 1881, the little Society of religious priests founded by Fr. Baudouin.

le P. Baizé

Some lecturers at the Seminary had asked Fr. Baudouin, on Retreat in Chavagnes at the end of 1828, after the death of Mother St. Benoit, to restart the little society begun in 1804.

After his death, on 11th February, 1835, Fr. Baizé, Director of Studies at the Seminary and friend of Fr. Baudouin, gathered all who had shown interest in restarting the little society in the spirit of
Fr. Baudouin.

Following a long discernment and searching, after a 30day Retreat during the holidays of 1841, a Chapter of Election took place. Fr. Baizé was elected Superior General and nine priests and a deacon pronounced their first vows on the 21st September 1841 in the presence of Mgr. Soyer, Bishop of Lucon. Five other members were admitted to begin their noviciate.

The first religious received at the beginning the name ‘Oblate Father ‘ and three years later they resumed the title of ‘Society of the Children of Mary’ the name that Fr. Baudouin had given the little Society.

On 22nd July, 1857, the Congregation were recognised in the pontifical right under the name ‘Children of Mary’ whose aim was ‘the missions and education of the young especially in ‘junior seminaries’.

1839: Mouilleron in Pareds

St Sauveur

the Presbytery became a Missionaries house and in 1844 it was established as the Noviciate then the Mother House for the budding congregation.

In 1950 the house at St. Sauveur was completed and became the Mother House and Noviciate until its transfer to Chavagnes in 1861.

1845: Niort Fr. Morin a member of the Society of Children of Mary, coming one day from St Jean d’Angély, wishing to return to La Rochelle but took the wrong way with his car and arrived in Niort. He was welcomed by Fr. Serre, chaplain and founder of the Daughters of the Sacred Heart of Mary. Fr. Serre interested by the new society hoped for a foundation in Niort and asked this of Fr. Baize who refused, for the numbers were still too small. Fr. Serre insisted and in Lent 1845 Frs. Coumillou and Pécot arrived in Niort.
Some years later there would be the foundation of the Sisters of Mary Immaculate.

Ste Marie

1860: Chavagnes the house St. Marie had been built as the Noviciate. It accommodated the noviciate from 1861 until the expulsion in 1903. At the end of 1920 it became again a house for the formation of the young.

1861 : St Jean de Beugné. Missionary Residence in Deux-Sèvres (diocese of Poitiers)

1867 : Saumur. A residence for pilgrims, Our Lady of Ardillers, at Anjou.

1876 : St Jean d’Angély. Foundation at the request of Mgr. Léon Thomas who had shared his desire that ‘the Children of Mary establish a house in St Jean d’Angély for the missions, the parishes and as chaplain for the Religious.

La Roche sur yon Chapel Notre Dame

1889 : la Roche sur Yon. There was at first a ‘pied à terre’so that ‘our Missionary Fathers, who were frequently obliged to go via La Roche were able at least to have a place of rest to wait in peace the departure times of the railway. The ‘pied à terre’ soon became a Missionary Residence, then the Parish of Mary Immaculate.

1891 : Limoux (Diocese of Carcassonne), took charge of the college – St. Louis junior seminary.

1892 : Castel Nègre, near Limoux. Foundation of a boy’s school. But in 1900 the pupils were expelled from the establishment. They were among the first victims of the persecution that took place at the start of the century.